I shared my Paper Piecing Saga
It had been AWHILE
since I made these blocks,
so I thought that I might
give paper piecing a second try:
This time I thought that I might
a few tips for myself
for future reference that is!
TIPS FOR PAPER PIECING
- Print out enough blocks before starting the project! This way you have plenty on hand and you can just grab a copy and make a few blocks whenever you have a few available moments.
Since it had been awhile since I made these blocks, I spent a lot of time trying to find the original block. I could have saved myself some time if I had only printed out several copies in the beginning and kept them with my completed blocks!
- Decrease your stitch length. I made mine about 1.6. This helps later on when it is time to remove the paper.
- Start with a new needle so that the needle easily perforates the paper. This should be something that you do automatically but I often forget to do it!
- Write your fabric color on the paper copy of your block. This was an after thought for me. I think that will prevent confusion in the long run! Just write Red by #1, etc., etc.
- Pin your fabric pieces in place on your printed copy. I pinned them this time but I think that next time I will try using a dab of glue on the bottoms to reduce any "bulk".
- Backstitch at the beginning and end of each stitch. I found that this helps to keep things secure later on when you are removing the paper.
- Trim your blocks to remove excess fabric as you go,
- Trim your seam allowance back to 1/4".
- Make sure that your rotary cutter has a new blade! Your arms and elbows will thank you when it come time to trim all of those blocks!
Pros of Paper Piecing
- Exact, Precise Blocks!
- Quilter's Math Not Required!....yeah..no calculating necessary!
Cons of Paper Piecing
- Separating/tearing/ripping the paper just wasn't my thing...I hated it!
- Although I enjoyed the process, it seemed to waste more fabric that traditional piecing.
What are your thoughts on paper piecing?
Do you have any paper piecing tips that you want share?
Until Next Time...Happy Quilting
Free Priority Shipping On Orders Over $25.00