Thursday, July 11, 2013

MY THOUGHTS ON PAPER PIECING { A FEW TIPS}


So yesterday
I shared my Paper Piecing Saga
over HERE.

It had been AWHILE
since I made these blocks,
 so I thought that I might
give paper piecing a second try:





This time I thought that I might 
make/write down/journal
a few tips for myself
for future reference that is!

TIPS FOR PAPER PIECING

  • Print out enough blocks before starting the project! This way you have plenty on hand and you can just grab a copy and make a few blocks whenever you have a few available moments.

Since it had been awhile since I made these blocks, I spent a lot of time trying to find the original block. I could have saved myself some time if I had only printed out several copies in the beginning and kept them with my completed blocks!

  • Decrease your stitch length. I made mine about 1.6. This helps later on when it is time to remove the paper.

  •   Start with a new needle so that the needle easily perforates the paper. This should be something that you do automatically but I often forget to do it! 

  • Write your fabric color on the paper copy of your block. This was an after thought for me. I think that will prevent confusion in the long run! Just write Red by #1, etc., etc.


  • Pin your fabric pieces in place on your printed copy. I pinned them this time but I think that next time I will try using a dab of glue on the bottoms to reduce any "bulk".
  • Backstitch at the beginning and end of each stitch. I found that this helps to keep things secure later on when you are removing the paper.
  • Trim your blocks to remove excess fabric as you go,
  • Trim your seam allowance back to 1/4".
  • Make sure that your rotary cutter has a new blade! Your arms and elbows will thank you when it come time to trim all of those blocks!



Pros of Paper Piecing

  • Exact, Precise Blocks!
  • Quilter's Math Not Required!....yeah..no calculating necessary!

Cons of Paper Piecing

  • Separating/tearing/ripping the paper just wasn't my thing...I hated it!
  • Although I enjoyed the process, it seemed to waste more fabric that traditional piecing.


What are your thoughts on paper piecing?

Do you have any paper piecing tips that you want share?

Until Next Time...Happy Quilting

Moda Precuts
Moda Fabric
Free Priority Shipping On Orders Over $25.00

4 comments:

  1. I love paper piecing. I do it almost 100% of my piecing. A couple of my tips, yes I back stitch but I do stich beyond the end mark, just maybe 6-7 stitches. I also do my piecing on kids tracing paper that I buy at Hobby Lobby, it's cheaper then the "adult trcing" paper. I cut it to size of my printer and run it through there.

    Keep on stitching!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had thought about using news print. You know the old thin drawing paper from school? Sarah

      Delete
  2. I love paper piecing and always retrain myself if I hadn't made blocks that way in awhile. I use a larger needle for perforations. Dollar store paper also works perfectly. I'm sure little person could find himself something too. Lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love foundation piecing BUT on light weight cotton fabric - no need to tear off! I have done one with paper as our group was doing it, and I bowed to peer group pressure. Didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...