Monday, February 25, 2013

MIX & MINGLE {A SCRAPPY PRECUT QUILT TUTORIAL}


MIX & MINGLE {A SCRAPPY PRECUT QUILT TUTORIAL}

FINISHED SIZE: 36" x 56"

The Scrappy Precut Quilt Blog Series was designed to help
quilters think outside the box. 
It was designed to inspire quilters to use their precut fabrics to create
perfectly scrappy quilts.

The first quilt in the series is rather simple in design.
I wanted to keep the first quilt rather simple in construction
so that we could focus on using entirely different fabric lines
to make a scrappy quilt.






Grab your favorite charm packs and let's get started.

Fabric Requirements:
  • 3 Charm Packs or (126) 5" X 5" coordinating squares
  • 0.5 yards of fabric for binding
  • 42" X 62" piece of batting
  • 3.5 yards of fabric for backing



For this scrappy quilt I chose to work with three charm packs:
Simply Color by V and Co.
Ticklish by Me & My Sister Designs
Honey Honey by Kate Spain

The reason that I chose these three fabric lines is because
they all contained similar color stories.


The first thing that I did was open each charm pack one at a time.
I laid out the fabric from each fabric line
separately so that I could get a good look at each print and color story.

Here is Ticklish by Me & My Sister Designs:


Here is Honey Honey by Kate Spain:


You can see how the color stories can be put together to form a cohesive
color scheme.

Since we are using precut fabrics from entire fabric lines,
we know that the scale and variety of prints is going to be balanced.
Moda and its desginers have done the work for us.
They have already created different size and scale prints
within each fabric line.
All we have to do is decide which fabric lines we want to put together.

Next,
I grabbed all of the prints in one color scheme from each of the
different fabric line.

Here are all of the orange color prints from the three fabric lines:


As you can see the orange color scheme varies in shading.
The prints are different in size and scale
but they work well together.

Here are some of the other color schemes:





Now you can start to see how all of the prints
can MIX & MINGLE together to create a scrappy quilt.

I also wanted to point out that I also separated
all of the white/light colored prints (low volume prints).

Here are the low volume prints from the three fabric lines:


I decided to keep them separate from the other color stories.
When I constructed the Half Square Triangles (HST)
I paired the low volume prints together rather than
mix them in with the other color schemes.

Now that you have seen my thought process
for choosing these fabric lines,
let's start constructing the quilt.


Block Construction:

Note: All seams are sewn with 1/4" seam allowance
Step 1:
  • On the back of 63 charm squares, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner.
  • Look at your lovely stacks of charm squares. Choose any 2 charm squares.Place 2 charm squares Right Sides Together (RST).
  • Stitch a seam 1/4" away from the diagonal line. Repeat for the other side of the diagonal line.
  • Using your rotary cutter, cut on the diagonal line. This will yield two Half Square Tirangle blocks (HST).
  • Press the block open.



Step 2:
  • Trim the HST to 4 1/2" X 4 1/2". This will yield a total of 126 HST.


Step 3:
  • Place two HST blocks Right Sides Together (RST).
  • Pin.
  • Sew the blocks together.


Step 4:
  • Press the block open.

Step 5:
  • With RST, pin the next HST to the block.
  • Sew the HST to the block.
  • Press the block open.

Step 6:
  • Repeat step 3-5 until you have 9 HST blocks sewn together.
  • Press the block open. Follow the pressing directions listed in the diagram.



Step 7:
  • Repeat the steps and make a total of 14 rows of HST.


Step 8:
  • With RST, pin row 1 to row 2.
  • Sew the rows together.
  • Press the block open.
  • Repeat until you have all 14 rows sewn together.
Step 9:
  • Make a quilt sandwich.
  • Baste your quilt.
  • Quilt  using your favorite quilting method.
  • Attach the binding.
  • Enjoy your Mix & Mingle Scrappy Quilt.





Mix & Mingle Scrappy Quilt Kits Available in my SHOP.

Until Next Time... Happy Quilting

7 comments:

  1. Such a cute quilt! Now I'm off to pair my Honey Honey with Simply Modern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous!!! :o)
    Super cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time to go dig out my hundreds of charm packs and do a little mixing and mingling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you call this quilt simple it doesn't look like it at all. These are all such BEAUTIFUL Fabric lines, I Love Them!!! The colors in those fabrics are really gorgeous. I wish I'd have seen this in 2013 so I could get these fabrics. Your quilt is really very cute. I've never ventured into making half square, four patch or flying geese. I'm intimidated by them but I'm going to step out of my comfort zone & make one soon. Thanks for the inspiration, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for providing a pressing guide!!! I get so confused and flustered about which way to press the seams. Which way do you press after sewing the rows together? You may have this info elsewhere on your blog, but if not, please make a tutorial about pressing seams and how you handle pressing seams where the blocks and rows join. Thank you for such a helpful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for providing a pressing guide!!! I get so confused and flustered about which way to press the seams. Which way do you press after sewing the rows together? You may have this info elsewhere on your blog, but if not, please make a tutorial about pressing seams and how you handle pressing seams where the blocks and rows join. Thank you for such a helpful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is indeed a very detailed and insightful article on SCRAPPY PRECUT QUILT TUTORIAL. I must commend you for this wonderful piece put out here. I really got value here. Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful blog with us. Keep it up.
    quilt kits with precut fabric

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...