Project #2 of the Jelly Roll Challenge
is a simple clutch purse.
It is another quick project
and I think that I will tuck a gift card
inside each of mine.
- (5) Coordinating Jelly Roll strips or (4) 2 1/2" X Width Of Fabric (WOF) strips. Note: I used 12 days of Christmas by Kate Spain for Moda.
- (1) 15" X 8 1/2" piece of batting
- (1) 15 X 8 1/2" piece of coordinating fabric
- 1" piece of Velcro
- With Right Sides Together (RST) sew (2) jelly roll strips together.
- Repeat for the other (2) jelly roll strips.
- Press open.
- With RST, sew the (2) jelly roll strip sets together.
- Press the strip set open.
- Lay your jelly roll strip set on top of the 15" X 8 1/2" piece of batting.
- Baste the (2) layers together.
- Quilt as desired.
- Lay your 8 1/2" X 15" piece of solid fabric on top the right side of your quilted piece.
- Pin and sew 1/4" away from the edge all the way around your fabric.
- Leave a 4" opening so that you can turn your bag inside out.
- Clip all corners so that you will have better corners when you turn the bag inside out.
- Turn the bag inside out.
- Use a chopstick to help push out the corners.
- Press the bag and whip stitch the opening closed.
To create the handle:
- Cut a 2 1/2" X 8 1/2" piece from the remaining jelly roll.
- Fold 1/4" from the top and the bottom.
- Fold the piece in half again and press.
- Pin the piece.
- Sew down the edge of the strip.
- Take your quilted piece of fabric and fold up 5" from the bottom to find the placement of the top piece of Velcro.
- Pin and sew in place.
- Find the location of the bottom piece of Velcro by matching it to the top piece of Velcro.
- Pin and sew the bottom piece of Velcro in place.
- Determine where you want to place your handle.
- Pin the other side in place.
- Sew 1/4" away from both sides. Back stitch at the beginning and the end.
Voila! Your clutch purse is now complete.
(4) Jelly roll strips will make (2) clutch purses.
Until Next Time ... Happy Quilting!