Project #1 of the my jelly roll challenge
is a simple drawstring gift bag.
- (6) Coordinating jelly roll strips or (6) 2 1/2" x Width of Fabric (WOF) strips. (I used 12 Days of Christmas by Kate Spain for Moda)
- (1) 12" strip of matching ribbon
- Choose 6 coordinating jelly roll strips
- With Right Sides Together (RST), sew (2) jelly roll strips together.
- Repeat until you have (3) sets of jelly roll strips sewn together.
- Strip set should measure 4 1/2" X WOF
- Press the 4 1/2" X WOF strip sets open
- With RST, sew (2) 4 1/2" X WOF strip sets together.
- Note: Join the strip sets in opposite directions to prevent the strips from becoming "wonky". I like to use the tail ends of the thread as my guide. I simply match a long tail end to a short tail end. This way I know that I will be sewing the strip sets together in opposite directions.
- Repeat Step 4 until you have all (3) jelly roll strip sets joined together.
- The completed jelly roll strip set should measure 12 1/2" X WOF
- Cut the jelly roll strip set into (3) 12 1/2" X 12 1/2" blocks.
- Save the remaining piece for a future project.
- Fold the top jelly roll strip in half. Press to set the fold in place.
- Pin and sew the strip in place to create a tube for the drawstring ribbon.
- Note: When sewing, I used the neighboring jelly roll strip as my guide. This helped to create a straight line.
- Fold the 12 1/2" X 12 1/2" block in half.
- Pin along the two sides.
- Sew 1/4" away from the edge of the bottom of the bag and the long side of the bag.
- Be sure to stop sewing just before the seam of the that tube you created for the drawstring ribbon.
- Clip the corner edges of the bottom of the bag.
- Turn the bag inside out.
- Press the bag to give it a crisp, fresh look.
- Attach a safety pin to the end of the drawstring ribbon.
- Using the safety pin, thread the ribbon through the tube that you created.
- Pull the drawstring ribbon to close the bag.
Voila! You are now done creating your drawstring gift bag. All you have to do is add the goodies!
Note: (6) jelly roll strips will yield 3 drawstring gift bags.
Until Next Time ... Happy Quilting!